Thursday, May 12, 2005

What Goes Around Comes Around

Day #116
Tripometer: 14506.3 miles
Mile # 14500: Rapis City, South Dakota

HAPPY BIRTHDAY YOGI BERRA!!!

In the beginning of my trip I was teasing some people back home about the weather I was having. Now you can all make fun of me. This morning I woke up and had to dig my car out from under 6 inches of snow. The weird thing was that I was doing this under the sun in 60 degree weather. I don’t get it. I’m just glad it’s sunny.

My first stop was Crazy Horse, a monument developed to celebrate the Native Americans who live/lived in the area and find the Black Hills to be sacred. This is an awesome work in progress. When it is complete it will be the largest statue ever created, bigger than the Washington Monument or the Great Pyramids. The area has a great video that takes you through the process so far. There is also a great Native American art exhibit. As of now the face of Crazy Horse is complete and the head of the horse has been outlined on the side of the mountain. I hope that it will be completed sometime in my lifetime. It would be really cool to be able to come back and see the finished product.

Next stop, Mt. Rushmore. One of the best things I’ve purchased on this trip has been a National Parks Pass. This lets me get into national parks, monuments and memorials for free instead of paying for each park individually. This has absolutely paid for itself. Mt. Rushmore, a national memorial, got sneaky though. They don’t charge you to get into the park but they do charge you for parking and you can’t use the pass for this. I was a little annoyed but what was I going to do. I parked my car and stated to walk to toward the mountain I looked up and realized that I couldn’t see anything because it was so foggy. So I went to the Visitor’s Center and the museums they have that tell more about the artist and the process and then went back to check out the mountain. Still nothing. I was determined not to let this be another Stone Mountain or Crater Lake so I put my butt on the wall and just sat there and waited for the fog to move out of my way. And after 2 hours it did.

Crazy Horse



Mt. Rushmore

No One

George Washington

Everyone

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home