Tuesday, April 19, 2005

Alcatraz

Day #93

Today I walked from my hostel to Fisherman's Wharf to get a ticket so that I could check out Alcatraz Island. I had a couple of hours to kill before my boat was scheduled to leave so I walked around Pier 39. There were a lot of stores to check out (most of which I passed on), cable cars passing by, great views of the Golden Gate Bridge, people performing, and sea lions.

Golden Gate Bridge

Sea Lions

Beautiful Boat


Alcatraz itself was so cool. I loved the history and the mystery of the building. I took an audio tour of the prison which was told by a combination of a narrator and past inmates. I was impressed with the inclusion of the imprtance of the island to Native Americans. It was a little bit of an afterthought but I guess most people who come to Alcatraz aren't there to hear about the Native American occupation of the island. They're more interested in Al Capone, the Birdman of Alcatraz and escape attempts.

Alcatraz

A Cell

"The Hole"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home