Saturday, February 26, 2005

Selma, Alabama

Day #41
Tripometer: 5406.2 miles
Mile #5000, Tyler, AL

Today I went to Selma, Alabama. I went to the National Voting Rights Museum which did a fantastic job of telling the story of how African-Americans won the right to vote. There were many personal accounts of "Bloody Sunday" and the march to Montgomery. The people working there were great to talk to. As I drove through more of Alabama I was amazed with all of the history. It really is an incredible state. It is definitely more run-down than the north and things absolutely move slower but it has a lot of character. There were kids everywhere riding bikes and playing. In general I've found that people here are really great to talk to and extremely helpful. It's definitely a different world here but I'm enjoying my visit.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home