Friday, February 04, 2005

Me and Jack

Day #19
Tripometer: 2330.5 miles

I stayed at an amazing motel last night. After driving around looking for a motel that was in my price range I arrived at the Hampton Inn in Tullahoma, TN. It was about 7:30 and I was very hungry. I went inside and asked the women how much a room for the night would be. When she told me that the cheapest room was $65 plus tax I said no thank you and turned to leave. She asked what I was hoping to spend and I told her about $50. We talked for a while and I got her life story, heard about how she has a daughter in Iraq who would be home soon and how she's been living in Tullahoma since she was 12. By the end of our conversation she offered to put in an $85 room for only $55. I gladly took the offer and later that evening I took a bath. I guess it pays to be friendly. I'm going to have to be nice to more people.

Today I went on a really incredible tour of the Jack Daniels Distillery which is located in Lynchburg, TN. I got to learn all about how whiskey is made and the life story of Jack Daniels. Jack started running the distillery at the age of 13 after it was given to him by a minister. Probably the most interesting thing about the distillery is that it is located in a dry county, therefore they are not allowed to sell the product they make. However, about 10 years ago an amendment was passed which allowed the distillery to sell limited edition bottles to people who went on the tour. Also, the first payday of every month each employee receives a bottle of Jack Daniels with their paycheck. Nice perk.

After my visit to the distillery I drove to Suwannee, GA to visit my cousin Barry (J-E-T-S! Jets! Jets! Jets!) and his family.



Jack Posted by Hello



Smells So Good


From Barrel to Bottle


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home