Monday, January 24, 2005

'Tis the season to be traveling

Day #8
Tripometer: 608.1 miles
Mile # 500: Elkton, VA
State: Virginia
Capital: Richmond

So I’ve been a little disappointed by the weather. There have been a few things that I have been unable to do because of the icy conditions. I’ve been wondering if it would have been better to do this trip in the spring or summer. And then there was today. I went to Luray Caverns this morning and had a really incredible time. I was the only one there and was basically given a private tour of the caverns. The tour guide took me places that were slightly off the path or were places that used to be part of the tour but for various reasons were not any more. I would not have been able to have this experience at any other time. I guess there are good things about traveling in the winter.

I then went to Monticello which is an incredible place to visit from an architecture point of view. I toured the Jefferson’s house with a small group of people. There was a couple from England and another woman. This woman was really something. Apparently she has been to every presidential historic site in the U.S. and has read every book about every president. She knew more about Jefferson than our tour guide did and seemed to be asking questions that she knew the answer to just to prove to everyone that she knew it all. Towards the end of the tour she asked the following question…”Did anyone think that Jefferson was a bit of a um…you know. A dandy? Did anyone ever question that about him?” WHAT?!?! Where did that come from? I wish I had been able to take a picture of the tour guide (who was this little woman in her 70’s). She very politely told this woman that she had never heard anything like that and quickly moved the tour along.


Inside Luray Caverns Posted by Hello

1 Comments:

At 11:10 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Haven't been following along on a regular basis, but had to tell you that Alan and I were at Luray Caverns in the off season as well and loved it. You sound terrific, keep on having fun

Love, Madeleine

 

Post a Comment

<< Home