Friday, March 04, 2005

Must See Stop #4

Day #47
Tripometer: 6139.8 miles

I love New Orleans! It is an absolutely gorgeous city. I walked around the French Quarter (the oldest part of the city) today. The architecture here is incredible. I took a Voodoo/Cemetery tour of the French Quarter which was really interesting. New Orleans is known as the City of the Dead so as you can imagine this was a pretty incredible tour. I knew a little about the history of the city but it was great to have some of the missing pieces filled in. It was also really cool to learn more about the religion of Voodoo. At the end of the tour we were able to visit a Voodoo temple and talk minister (who was a woman...what do you call a female minister, anyone know?). The other thing that I absolutely loved about New Orleans is that there is always something going on. You walk down the street and see anything and everything. Below are some pictures of street entertainers.

I made it to my second NBA game of the trip. New Orleans has an awful team so it wasn't too hard to get a ticket. The game itself was pretty exciting...the Hornets actually won the game. But what interested me was the pregame. Before singing the national anthem they had a local priest say a prayer at half-court. I thought we had this whole seperation of church and state thing. I guess it doesn't apply in New Orleans. After the game I was surprised at how polite everyone was. In NY and NJ after a game lets out there is a mad rush for the escalators. Not in NO. Everyone just lined up and waited. It was really funny. I couldn't operate that way and got some funny looks as I walked around this line and made my way to the escalator very quickly. Oh well...it's not like I'll see any of those people ever again.


Beautiful Architecture Posted by Hello


Offerings At A Gravesite


Leftover Mardi Gras


Street Entertainers

1 Comments:

At 2:27 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

home equity loans online

 

Post a Comment

<< Home